Church of the Savior on Blood was constructed on a place of a mortal wound of the emperor Alexander II. It happened on March 1, 1881 on the embankment of the Ekaterina's channel, nowadays Griboyedov Canal Embankment.
Official name of a cathedral is Church of the Resurrection but as here blood of the emperor was shed and a cathedral was consecrated in day of apple Saviour on August 6, 1907, people call it Church of the Savior on Blood. The cathedral was under construction for 24 years.
Though the height of the main dome is only 81 meters and it is not the highest building, it still dominates the central part of the city. The internal decoration which houses 7700 square meters of mosaics strikes all the visitors with beauty of the icons.